Monday, January 26, 2009

5 Days Old

Today was supposed to be a very uneventful day, mostly just sitting around, but then a CT scan for the afternoon. We knew for the CT scan he would have to undergo his first time of having general anesthesia, so we walked down to the CT place with him. Here is the whole set up (2 nurses and Tyler) to get all his stuff down there.


Here we are in the CT lab. Pretty amazing technology!! It looks like it will shoot you into space!

Here we are saying goodbye to him. It was hard because he was wide awake and it was the first time I had to say goodbye to him and put him in someone else's hands. We couldn't even stay to watch! We went back to the room to wait..........



1 1/2 hours later we was wheeled back into his room! It felt so good to have him back! They had taken out the tubes to his nose and throat so I snapped a quick picture

He looked so sweet and peaceful! The anesthesiologist told us that he did great and left, and I was leaning over him while his nurse (Jamie) started re-connecting all the monitors and was going to put his oxygen tubes back in his nose. All of a sudden his heart rate started to drop to 100, then 85 then 65 then 55 and 45 and I told Tyler and Jamie his lips were turning blue. I started trying to jostle him to help his stats come back up but nothing was happening. Jamie ran out of the room and said something and within a matter of 15 seconds 6 nurses were in the room, somebody hit the code BLUE button and within another 15 seconds about 20 people were in the room and the crash cart was in here as well. Tyler and I were standing in the corner by the bathroom and we still felt in the way! I cannot begin to tell you how helpless I felt as I watched my baby being given CPR, meds, and people yelling out what they needed. It felt just like the movies, except I was living the horror. Tyler and I sat there crying, not sure what would happen. I think it was only a matter of 2-3 minutes and he let out a cry, but it felt like an eternity. They still had to work at him for about 15 minutes, but they finally got him stable and I was able to go stand by him while they finished up. It was terrifying. The nurses and staff were great, and it made me realize how blessed we are to be in such an amazing unit. It was really hard to be here and it still makes me cry thinking about it! That is one image I don't think I will ever get out of my head! We are so blessed that he came back to us, and that he is doing ok now. He was pretty stable most of the night. He had a few problems when they would take him off of the drugs they had given to him, but for the most part he was ok. Tyler and I realized how blessed we are to have every minute with him! We also grounded him for life for scaring us! :)
Luckily he is doing great, now! That was our way too eventful evening!!

1 comments:

stacy said...

i am SO SORRY! that is such a nightmare. i don't even know what else to say. he is a beautiful boy!