Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wow, what a weekend!

HUGE Warning!!! This will be a LONG post, but it is worth it!!
So, I have been wanting to go to conference for over a year. (Conference is a time when the church leaders from our church come together in Utah to give direct guidance and counsel to all of the members. It is broadcast on TV, the Internet, radios and satellite transmissions all over the world. It is both Saturday and Sunday and only 2 times a year. See HERE for more info. It only has audio available right now, but will have written out forms of the talks within the week.) Well, I wanted to go last April, then President Hinckley passed away so I knew I would never get tickets (they are free, but they only have limited space) because it would be packed. I wanted to go in October, but we had found out about Jake and were taking our last family trip before Jake was born. Then, I knew I wasn't going to be able to go this April, because I would either be in the hospital still, with Jake, or at home with a baby that needed 24/7 care. Then a week after Jake passed away, I decided I wanted to go. No one was able to go with me, so I started to dismiss the idea, when I really felt strongly that I should go, so I booked myself a ticket to go alone! Then, my great friend, Heidi (Angel Jersey's mom) found a way to come too!! I was so excited for us to be there together!
I flew in early Thursday morning and hung out with some cousins and Tyler's aunt and Uncle, then I went to a new friends house, Mindi, that has a heart baby (baby Libbi). She is a beautiful baby and doing really well!! YEAH!!!!
Heidi came in later Thursday evening and we went out to dinner with some other new friends, Leah (Angel Avery's mom) and Michele (Angel Gracie's mom).
These women are amazing! We chatted for 4 1/2 hours at Macaroni Grill! Our poor waiter could hardly get us to order because we were chatting so much! :) Thanks girls, it was SO great to meet you and talk to you! You are amazing!
Friday morning we went to the Salt Lake temple with my parents and had a very sweet time. That afternoon we went around the temple and saw the Joseph Smith movie. The Mesa Temple visitors center is showing it, so if you want see it, go there (it's free too)! It was a great movie.
(My mom, me, and Heidi in front of the Salt Lake Temple)
Friday Evening we went back to Mindi's house to deliver some oranges for my little brother, Nathan. He is on a mission for our church in Ogden and is in Mindi's area. While I was there, she surprised me and invited him over! He is the CUTEST ever! It was so fun to talk and chat with him. He comes home in November and we can hardly wait! Missionaries are gone for 2 years and don't normally get to see family members, only get to talk to them on the phone 2 times a year.
Afterwards we went to dinner with Mindi's mom, cousins, sister-in-law and aunt. We had SOOOO much fun chatting and laughing with them.
Thanks for the GREAT time, gals! I feel like we are all family!
Also, a HUGE shout out to Netso for letting us borrow her car! WE LOVED it! Thank you, thank you! Check out this car!
We even got mistaken for some high schoolers driving her car! Haha!!
We had tickets to the Saturday morning and afternoon sessions, thanks to my dad. It was amazing to be in the conference center and feel of the spirit. The Saturday afternoon session was AMAZING!! We got tickets down in front about 15 rows back. See:
It was amazing to be so close and see the expressions on the President Monson's face and the other apostles. The second to last speaker, Elder Richard G. Scott gave an amazing talk that should be titled "To Liz and Heidi, and any other Heart baby's moms." Go listen to it. He told about how he has lost his wife, and how they also lost a daughter and 6 weeks later they lost a son to a heart defect! WOW!! Heidi and I just stared in awe that we could be so close and in the session that he spoke about that. WOW, WOW, WOW!!
After that session Heidi and I desperately wanted to meet Elder Scott and thank him for his amazing talk. As people began to leave the conference center, Elder Scott stayed around and began mingling with people! We tried to get close, but some ropes and security guards prevented us. As people left we would get closer and closer. Eventually, we were 5 feet from him, but they were beginning to tell everyone to leave. One sweet sister that we had told our story to knew that we had to meet Elder Scott too. She spoke with some man that was waiting, and when Elder Scott started to walk away, this man that had been waiting said, "No, Dad, you can't leave yet. You have to meet these girls." WOW WOW WOW!! IT had been Elder Scott's son! He came over to use and talked for a few minutes. We told him about our babies and he shed a few tears with us. We also thanked him for his amazing talk. Then he let us take a photo with him. Our eyes were all red from crying, but it was amazing to be able to meet him!
Even if you aren't a member of my church, read or listen to his talk. It is amazing and so sweet and sincere. He is such an amazing guy!!
Saturday evening was spent shopping, eating and visiting until waaaaaay too late! :)
We didn't have tickets to the Sunday morning session, but we really wanted to get in, so we came prepared! Here is our PINK sign.
It says, "Totally Need Tickets" and even has silver glitter all over it! We figured it had to work, and it DID!! We got tickets for us and my parents! GO HEIDI!! That was another amazing session with a great talk about the atonement from Elder Holland. You can listen to that one too. It can't hurt! :)
Here we are after the Sunday morning session. You can see the Salt Lake Temple behind us. Then we had to say goodbye to each other and Salt Lake. I flew out during the Sunday afternoon session and Heidi flew home Monday. Thanks for going with me, Heidi! I had an amazing time.
I am so grateful to belong to the church that I do. I KNOW I will see my baby again, and be able to raise him and be with him and my husband and my other children FOREVER!! I love that! I am grateful for my testimony in Jesus Christ and the example He was to all of us. I'm grateful for the power of prayer and a loving Heavenly Father that always listens to me and comforts me. It is what keeps me going.
Well, you made it to the end! Sorry, I didn't mean to get "Churchy" on you all, but I had to let you all know about my amazing experience and my testimony!! Thanks for reading!!

19 comments:

Donelle said...

Hey Liz, I was very excited to get up this am and rush in and read the post that you had already told me about...but I wanted to hear all about it again. I'm so glad that you went and had such an AMAZING time to say the least. Maybe next year we can go to conference together. I've never been and it's about time I make it. And by then my hubby will have a job and everything :) Love you!

Unknown said...

Thank you Liz for being such a great example to all. I enjoyed meeting you and spending the few hours I did with you and Heidi. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet our little Libbi and my beautiful daughter. You are an inspiration to all of us. Can't wait to meet the rest of your darling family this summer??

Love you,
Libbis Grammy

Netso said...

Liz,
It was an honor to meet you and Heidi. You both are truly my heroes. I love you both soooo much! I feel like you're my Arizona daughters. I'm sooo happy my car got you some attention ( ummm.... no one ever thinks I'm a teenager?) The softball team took Elder P. the leftover pizza from the team dinner last night! He is good as usual. A fantastic missonary.
Me and Skylee were talking about you and Heidi the other night and Sky said," Really mom, you know how they say some people leave footprints in your heart and you're never the same? That's how I feel about these girls."
You've truly made an impact on so many lives..... Love you, Netso

Shelley said...

More crying!! I just love you Liz!! What a great way to start my day! I 100% agree with Skylee's comment on you amazing girls leaving footprints in our hearts!! I'm so blessed to have you so close. You're the best! And I can't wait to do a conference trip with you sometime. :)

Andrea Gunnell said...

I am so glad you had the opportunity to go to conference. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. Elder Scott's talk was AMAZING and I have to add my name to list of people that talk was written for. I'm sure that was so neat to be able to meet him afterward. I haven't been able to go to conference in a long time and I think I'm going to have to go next time!
I'm sure it was also a very neat experience to go to lunch with Heidi, Michele and Leah. I have been so touched as I have read each of your stories on your blogs and you are incredible women!

idahohubers said...

I am so glad you were able to attend conference. When I heard that talk I thought of you. I am continually amazed at the way Heavenly Father answers prayers and heals hearts. This is a perfect example that he knows us each individually. I always need reminders of that truth. I'm glad you shared it with all of us!

Mindi D said...

I had heard you got to meet Elder Scott but reading your post made me cry! That is so awesome that you got to meet him! We had a blast with you guys and i can't wait to visit again! O ya and I had nothing to do with your brother showing up :) He just did!! He must have divine inspiration being a missionary and all.. He just 'knew' he had to come here for some reason..

Heidi Ann said...

The best trip EVER!! It wouldn't have been the same with anyone else, only YOU!

Anonymous said...

Heidi; I am Leah Hallows Mom, Barbara Pokrin. I was so happy that Leah was able to meet with all of the Heart Moms and share together. You are all such beautiful, strong women. I loved your blog " I am sad" because I feel that too; in a different way but I am sad too. Thank you for being in my daughter's life....she needs you too.

Nash said...

that is so neat LIZ.
glad you had that experience.

Kristy F. said...

You are such an inspiration to many. Your strong testimony in the church is heard my many. Your trip sounded great and I'm glad you were able to get away and have that girl weekend. I believe it was meant to be.

heidi said...

You are so lucky! Conference is always so inspiring -- i miss the days when we could attend. I'm so glad you had such a great time. How neat that you got to see your Bro! :) ps. you are looking fabulous these days. how do you do it???

Anonymous said...

You never, ever have to apologize for being "churchy" in your blog Silly Girl! It's part of who you are and it's a great testimony for others. I miss you!

♥ Michele ♥ said...

It was fun to read about all the other things you did on your trip! Thanks for taking the time to go to dinner with the rest of us 'angel moms'. I so LOVE my necklace!! How cool is that about your picture and meeting with Elder Scott? SO SO cool!! Sounds like you had an overall great trip. Hope to see you guys the next time you're in town!!

Wendy said...

I was thinking about you sweet heart mom's while I listened to that talk. I noticed this conference season atleast 3 apostles spoke to this particular heartache mom's go through losing children. As each special family going through these rhings is close to my heart, it was inspiring to hear words of comfort and assurance that we do have a Heavenly Father always lovingly near. If we listen we can hear him say, "You are not alone. Come unto Me and ye shall find rest."

What a special gift from Heavenly Father for you girls to be so close during that particular session. Inspired! Then to be positioned in a manner that facilitated meeting Elder Scott, priceless.

Bella Beginnings said...

i don't think that i ever read your blog without crying! I am so happy that you went and that you went with Heidi. The outfit looks great and the boots are so cute! The sign for tickets is brilliant idea (like really good looking bums begging for tickets) and the best part is, is that it worked! I will have to try this next time I am up there. As for your experience meeting Elder Scott, amazing. I am so happy that you were guided by the spirit to make the trip and that you were blessed for being in the right place at the right time. I am also so jealous of you getting to see nate! He is such a stud and I am so happy that you got to give him a big hug. What a special thing that you both will remember! I am so happy that you had a great trip and it wouldn't have been the same with anyone else, so Thanks Heidi for going with Liz!

Greg and Heidi said...

Liz-
I just saw this post on your and Heidi's blog. You guys are awsome. I am sooooo glad you got to go and have such memorable experiences!
Much love-
Heidi Skids

dezertgirlaz said...

Oh Liz I am so glad you were there for Elder Scott's talk! How amazing that experience must have been for you! As I listened to it I totally thought of you and all of your special Angel Mom friends! Yay for conference and the awesome and amazing power it has to give us the messages we each need individually! I was a big fan of Elder Holland's talk! So glad had a great visit to Utah! Thanks for blogging it and sharing your amazing testimony!

Alleman Family said...

That is so amazing!! I'm so glad that you had such a spiritual experience while here... you of all people deserve to meet Elder Scott and feel of his spirit!