Thursday, January 21, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jake!!

My Dear Baby Jake,
Happy birthday to you!! I can't believe it has been a year. These past couple of weeks has made me remember what happened a year ago. January was a busy month with at LEAST 3 doctors visits a week, lots of scares, and finally you arrived!
I remember being induced in a TINY little room and they came in to give me my epidural, and as it started to take effect I began to cry because I knew that would be the end of OUR time together. I slowly stopped feeling you kick, and move so much. No one believed how much you moved, until they put a monitor on you and they couldn't keep you calmed down enough to get your "real" heart rate! I also cried because I knew that very shortly I couldn't keep you safe in my tummy. You would have to come out and fight for your life...and boy did you fight!! I remember feeling like you were ready to come out, and everyone told me to keep my legs closed so you wouldn't come out, and by the time I got into the delivery room/operating room you flipped sunny side up, and I had to push through about 6 contractions! (For all of you, I know that isn't much, but for my other kids, I could have coughed them out). You were born at 5:33pm. I remember you coming out and thinking you looked absolutely perfect, and then I heard your AMAZING little cry, and thought how NORMAL you seemed. They let me hold you for just a moment and I remember falling completely head over heels in LOVE with you! I have always loved my babies, but yours was instant! You were pink, perfect and crying! They took you to the side to clean you up a bit, then they let me hold you for 1 more minute, then they whisked you away....to start your journey.
As they whisked you out of the operating room and walked you down the hall to the NICU, all of my family was waiting for you to come down the hallway. The doctor said she felt like it was the papparazzi becuase there was 1 video camera and 3 cameras flashing!! Click here to see the video. (For some reason the sound didn't work on mine, but hopefully it will work for you.) That was your first introduction to your siblings, and boy were they PROUD! If you look carefully, Jake's eyes were open and he was looking at them! And yes, all of those nurses and doctors were there in the delivery room JUST FOR JAKE...and that was just the NICU staff!

I remember coming into the NICU 4 hours later, when they would finally let me go in, and crying for joy at how perfect you looked. No one would believe so much was wrong inside of you. You weighed in at 5lb 1oz and 17" long. Small and petite, just like we expected (even though you were only 1 1/2 weeks early).

Jake, thank you so much for all of the precious moments we shared together while you were in my Tummy. I loved feeling every movement and kick. Most people had to drink OJ to get their babies to move, but you wiggled and kicked like CRAZY if I hadn't eaten soon enough. Those are memories I cherish.

Happy birthday, baby boy! That was one amazing day, and I LOVE all of the memories that came with it-they were all good memories! I am scared of what feelings I will have for the next 19 days. All of the details, memories, smells, thoughts, feelings, events....it was a lot in a short time. I am glad it started out really well. I know I will be praying quite a bit for strength. I know you will help me through it. I love you, Jakey!!
Love,
Mommy

14 comments:

Beth said...

Oh Liz! That is the sweetest post ever! Love you!

Mindi D said...

I am so happy you shared that with us. :)

Shelley said...

Happy Birthday Jake!! I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us today. We love you! I'm so grateful for your friendship. It's a blessing for me to have met your sweetheart, Jake. We miss him!

Nicole said...

Jakey,
I miss you and love you too! Happy Birthday peanut!!!
Liz,
I hope you know that I am absolutely here for you for the next 19 days (and there after). I love you and your family and cannot wait to see you Saturday and celebrate Jake's life.

Denise said...

Did we just blink or has it really been one year? I feel like it was yesterday waiting in that tiny room with your kids and you being wheeled into the OR to deliver. The nurses kept walking past us and telling us to not come out into the hall, but really like we could all fit in the doorway and we were all a bit anxious.
Then he was there in the hallway with the calmest little spirit, he looked at all of us, he didn't cry but had big eyes and dad kept saying," he looks great, not sickly or unhealthy." We all thought the same thing, but he sure had way too many surprises up his sleeve. The only thing that I regret is that I didn't ask to hold him in the NICU when he only had the monitor on him. I don't know if they would have let me, but I should have tried. What a sweet experience, but I really can't stop crying. I didn't know it would be so hard even still. It seems appropriate that it is raining today. I love you, and will always love Baby Jake.

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Happpy Birthday Jake! Thanks for sharing the story Liz... Love you and thinking about you..

Angela said...

I was just thinking about you and Jake just the other day realizing that it had been a year. What an amazing little guy and an amazing mom!!! I love ya girl. My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

dezertgirlaz said...

Happy Birthday Jake!! These pictures are just priceless! I am so glad you have them! one of him and the kiddos is great! He really is looking right at them and the expressions on their face are adorable! Jake was a fighter and of course that came from his parents so yes, these 19 days will be hard, but I know you will have the strength you need! Jake will make sure of that! Lots of love your way!

The Van Fam said...

Happy Birthday Jake! Liz I am always amazed at how strong you are. You are really such an inspiration to so many people and although I never got the chance to meet Jake he has truly touched our lives. He reminds me to cherish what is really important in life. He looked absolutely perfect and I know he is and I know he is watching over you and your family. Have an amazing time this weekend celebrating his life!

Netso said...

Darling story, I cried all the way through it. Love ya.

{ Bethany } said...

Happy Birthday, Jake! Thank you for sharing his wonderful birth story. What a sweet little boy. *hug* I will be thinking of you this month.

~Bethany
Angel Gavin's mom

Donelle said...

Yep, Jake will help you through this tought time along with family and friends. We are glad to have met Jake. He has impacted lots of lives for good. We miss you little guy!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Jake! Thanks for sharing Liz.