Monday, September 7, 2009

Diagnosis: Jake

Ever since Jake was born, MANY doctors, specialists, geneticists, etc have been wondering what he "had." At 23 weeks pregnant we had the results from our Amniocentesis come back that everything was "Normal" genetically. Even after he was born, they sent out for more genetic testing and it came back "normal." Multiple geneticists at St Joseph's had various theories about what Jake really had. We even signed release forms because they thought he had some rare bone structure disease. Here is a photo they took of him for "research purposes."
After Jake passed away, we got more results. The "rare" bone structure disease can only test for about 25% of the cases, and that came back negative. The reason they weren't all in agreement about it is because of his internal organ issues, and the one "rare" test they were testing for usually doesn't have anything but bone structure issues. At that point they asked for our permission to send Jake's x-rays and info to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to see if they could diagnose him.
About 3 weeks ago we got a letter from the clinical geneticist at St Josephs and she had received the results back from Cedars-Sinai! We thought they might have answers, but the only thing they could come up with was spondylothoracic dysplasia (bone abnormalities, generally relating to the spine). All of their tests came up negative for genetics testings. The only thing they could say is that the geneticist should "be very careful in counseling this family from a genetic point of view." hmmm....thanks for the answers! :)
Well, Cedars recommended (as well as the geneticist) to have Jake put on the International Skeletal Dysplasia registry. (Who knew such a thing existed!) After calling the ISD, they explained that so far they have over 350 skeletal anomalies that have been categorized and only 90 of those have been linked to genetics, but as they get more information and DNA, they continually find more links. We decided this would be great research, so we included Jake. She said they might have answers soon, or we might never get any answers, but either way, they were very happy to have Jake added to their list. They take in to consideration all of his bone issues, but also the internal organs (heart, kidney, placement of kidney,etc).
Every time we have asked anyone what they thought it might be, they all shrug, and even now, the only thing they can say about him is, it is JAKE!! Way to go, buddy! Keep them guessing! Statistically, it was probably just something that happened, because we have 3 very healthy children, and no family genes that suggest anything abnormal. So, those were our answers!
Sorry, this is long, but I wanted to get this out too. 2 weeks ago we met with Jake's Dr that performed his Catheterization that went bad. They went over the autopsy results. It was very interesting. As Tyler put it, they couldn't say anything that would bring Jake back, but it was good information to know. Tyler and I were both very nervous to go in to visit with him, but it ended up being pretty interesting. They let us see Jake's CT scan, color coded, and we could see just how small the left side of his heart was, compared to his right. They also showed us scenes from his actual heart surgery (the first one!) That was amazing, and it made me tear up to see his little heart beating. They explained some really good things to us, and tried to explain why he bled out so badly at that final surgery. They didn't have all of the answers, but I really liked how they weren't too prideful to say, "We don't know!" Overall it was a good meeting, and I was glad to finally get the autopsy results.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I thought some of you might be interested in what I have been learning about the past month! So, our diagnosis so far is: JAKE!

12 comments:

Mindi D said...

You are very good to be so strong. I don't like the "we don't know" answer. But then again, they are only doctors, not God. He is the only one that really "knows" anything i've decided! I'm glad you are finding some things out about little Jake, i'm sure its interesting. He is so stinkin cute!

Julz said...

You always have such a cheerful outlook Liz, I love you for that!! You certainly have some valuable treasure laid up in heaven!!

stacy said...

i don't like not having the answers. i need to know everything to feel comfortable. you are amazing. i am so impressed with you!

Heidi Ann said...

Sure love that little guy! He's unique in more than one way isn't he! I hope someday you get more answers, not that it changes anything but still, it would be nice to know. He looks just like his daddy and I love his socks that are way too big. I love him and you and your other cupcakes!

Melodie said...

Liz, this past week I read your blog (historically back in time to when Jake was born, etc). I cried a lot and I've been thinking about and praying for your family. Thank you for sharing this info. Jake's been on my mind a lot lately, especially with Scarlett's heart cath today. I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers, and hope that someday you get the answers you need.

Love and Hugs,
Melodie (mom to Scarlett TOF/PA)
p.s. I added Jake's link to Scarlett's blog.

Janae said...

Isnt it humbling to really find out who is in charge. My Father in Law passed awayed a few years ago, at a very young age. He had had a normal day and went home and popped popcorn and got into to bed to watch t.v. with his wife. 5 minutes later he was gone. They did an autopsy, and the result was nothing. They told us his spirit left so his body died. The Lord has a plan. Thanks for sharing with us I really do enjoy learning more. You are amazing.

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time reading this. Perhaps you could change your font color.....I love your story!

dezertgirlaz said...

Thanks so much for posting more pictures of the one and only Jake! That little guy just brings a smile to my face when I see pictures of him! I am sorry you didn't get answers, but I just want to give you a big high five for doing all that you did! To think that maybe with the information they have from Jake now might help out another heart baby is hopeful! Just another example of "Mighty" Jake's awesomeness!

Greg and Heidi said...

Liz and Tyler-
Jake is beautiful and unique that is for sure. One day I think I want all my questions answered, but when I get to that life I think I will forget all the questions I have had and just rejoice in being with our son again!
Lots of Love-
Heidi

Alene said...

Thanks for posting this Liz, I love hearing about Jake and think you and Tyler are amazing!

Donelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I just love seeing pictures of sweet Jake.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes knowing the reason helps to understand; I know when Avery Ann's reports came back and Leah shared them via the blog.. it was comforting for me, her Grandma, to understand what went wrong. It doesn't make missing her any easier. Thank you for your sharing.

Barbara Pokrin